Saturday, November 8, 2008

Drinking locally

There is not much that is truly local anymore. Especially when you live in a place like Wyoming. Rest assured I can get my fair share of locally made wind chimes made from wrought iron bucking horses or furniture made from rough hewn logs. But how many entertainment centers does one person require? Vegetables do not grow here well and in mass quantities as the growing season is relatively short. There is a CSA . However it is too late to sign up for that this season but I will keep it in mind for next year.

One of the few consumable items that we can get locally around here is BEER. There are two local brew pubs in town, my favorite being Altitude. And even then if we extend local to mean ``close enough'' there are a number of breweries in Colorado. The most notable being New Belgium . They are a wonderful employee owned brewery who promote sustainability by making every effort to use as little as possible and minimize their impact through innovation. Odell's, makers of 90 Schilling and a wonderful IPA, co-habitates Fort Collins and the front range with a number of other small craft brewers.

If this blog is about assuaging my guilt over what I consume then I believe I can feel pretty decent about the beer I drink. My affection (and resulting guilt) for Doritos will have to find a different outlet.

No comments: